-
February 2nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Is there supposed to be a rubber gasket between the Horn adapter and the 288 Driver? I know that my 1005B horns and 288-16K drivers do not have a rubber gasket. But I saw on an internet posts someone mentioning these gaskets. Should I get some? How would they help? and Is there a source for them anywhere?
Thanks
-
February 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
I've never seen rubber. But I've only played with the small format drivers.
These use a thick cardboard type gasket.
Very easy to make your own.
I sure can't see either rubber or cardboard making any audible difference over no gasket at all.
Ron
-
February 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
There is a gasket between the Multicell horn and
driver The model no is 21270. Never having to take apart these systems personally I'm referring you to the following
site.
http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...ar%20Horns.pdf
...........................................
-
February 3rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Not a very complicated gasket- kinda like a rubber washert. Great plains has them, I understand.
-
February 3rd, 2007, 02:10 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Yes, a gasket goes into the indentation around the opening of your 288. That gasket is thick. When using the mounting plate that adapts the three bolt drivers to the four bolt horns such a 288-G to a MR2-594-A horn, a second gasket is used. Only this one is very thin. So you'd have the 288, gasket, plate, gasket, horn. When Altec came out with the MR2-594-A horn I bought one. The adapter/mounting plate came with it. I don't remember any gaskets coming with the horn. I ordered a bunch of gaskets to have on hand. The Altec parts department sent the wrong ones. Come to think of it, I didn't know there was a second gasket until they sent them to me by mistake. I wanted the thick ones that sits inside the 288's throat opening.
-
February 3rd, 2007, 02:17 AM
#6
Inactive Member
OOPs I forgot to say, both gaskets are rubber unlike the gaskets for the smaller format horns and drivers (like the 811 horn and 802 driver).
-
February 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
#7
Inactive Member
3 of mine had the thick rubber gasket, a couple didn't. The ones that did were already mounted to horns when I got them, the ones that didn't were raw drivers without horns. I just got some rubber the same thickness and made my own. They are red instead of black, but oh well. The ones I made have adhesive on one side, so they probablly won't get lost if I take it apart again.
I don't know the purpose, maybe waterproofing for outdoor use?
-
February 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Charles Clark
I don't know the purpose, maybe waterproofing for outdoor use?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Article quote"
An audio speaker system employs an annular gasket that separates the sound reproducing membrane of a speaker driver with a horn waveguide. The annular gasket is disposed in an area outside of and adjacent to the throat of the horn waveguide. The annular gasket is preferably realized from closed cell foam or other compliant acoustically-absorbable material. The gasket minimizes the volume of the compression chamber that the sound reproducing membrane is compressing, thus leading to less frequency cancellation (which leads to improved frequency response of the speaker driver"
........................................
-
February 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM
#9
Inactive Member
"annular"? Couldn't say round or ring shape? To low tech? Anything that would make an air tight seal will do, closed cell foam, rubber, cork, etc. To the best of my knowledge, there wasn't anything trick about the rubber used by Altec. Anyone know any different?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks